Thursday, February 3, 2011

For my first Artist Wednesday I chose Janet Cooper. Her work that gets my attention the most is her embellished dresses. The dresses speak to the viewer and tell a story of the feminine lifestyle. She cherishes the "shared female history" so incorporates the methods of women's work (stitching, appliqué, quilting, knitting & crocheting) to bind the meaning of women to the dresses.


Janet Cooper, Assemblage Party Dress from my travels to Rome, France and Japan


All of the dresses have the same vintage form and feel to them. She sews them with found objects representing nothing more than a woman. The embellishments she choses are limitless, including doll parts, sewing patterns, ribbon, toys, literature, photos, buttons, spools of thread, needles, doll clothes, utensils, lace, beads...(you get the idea). The dresses are a collaboration of items that all pertain to each other in some way, creating a history of women. I love these pieces, because they show the unseen work women have been expected to do such as sewing and cooking, and make it all visible and beautiful.


It is an interest I have to create a piece inspired by this theme, taking the preconceived role of women and  either changing it to modern day or playing around with gender role reversal. I am also interested in the use of mixed media. I personally think that using different materials can help get your idea across if assembled properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment